Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Billboard

Traveling westbound along the 10, I noticed a billboard for a conservative talk radio station. It was simple and direct, with a solid colored backdrop and "When in doubt, tell the truth. "-Mark Twain. Having bored of the limited supply of CD's that I have in the car, I once tuned in to the station just in time to hear one of their hosts say, "Barack Obama used fear tactics to pursuade people to go along with socialism.".


Because I am trying to be patient with all sides to every story (feeling this will be the best way to teach Ava how to form her own opinions), I continued to listen to their complaints about the inaguration, their supreme belief that the country (with Obama at its helm) is headed to "hell in a hand basket", and their general displeasure with our new president. And I was really okay with their opinion, having heard all of their arguments at least a half dozen times a day for the past year. But then one host went into a tirade about how telling it is of Obama supporters that former President Bush was booed and serenaded with that "Hey Hey Hey Goodbye" song. I for one (and I know I am not alone) did not condone nor appreciate those actions, feeling that those particular fans lacked class. And, in case it isn't already quite evident, I am a huge supporter of our new president.


Needless to say, I have two things to say to the station:

#1. If you want to attract people to your view point, try not to insult them first.

#2. A better quote for your billboard would be: "First know the facts, then distort them as you please" -Mark Twain.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

You are so quick Tarah. Love the #2 Twain Quote retort.

I liked Pres. Bush and I like Pres. Obama. And I plan on having a great life no matter who is in office.

Tarah said...

I think "nerdy" fits the ticket a bit better, especially when it comes to quotes and useless info. :)

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
So why bother even voting Lynn?