How can we really complain when we've got it so good? While it is true that I manage to find daily complaints, I am so completely thankful this holiday season. Thanksgiving is something of a cliche, but also a nice time to reflect on the many ways in which I have been blessed... For one, I have the safety and health of my child. That means more than all the left over turkey and cranberry sauce sandwiches in the world.
As I draw to a close on my Christmas shopping this year (and despite it feeling more like I should be preparing for the Fourth of July), I have tried to find meaningful gifts that will somehow make an impact or less of one... My initial inclination was to donate the money that I would have spent on everyone to a charity that I thought they would be happy to help. My first problem was that there are so many to choose from! How can I decide between a child in Haiti and a child in Darfur? Books or teddy bears? Vaccinations or food? And then there is the ever present, "should I be helping a child in another country or a child right here?". Books or teddy bears? Vaccinations or food? What about the environment? Protect a forest in another country or protect a forest right here? What about the animals? Domestic or endangered? Vaccinations or food?
Then another obstacle presented itself. While everyone on my list has been blessed in the same ways as I have, how do I really go about saying, "I really appreciate you so much that I gave someone else your gift?" I have an uncle that does just that, but he also lives in Australia. Plus, I like giving, not just the idea of giving. So I suppose I compromised by finding a website where your purchases go towards worthy causes: literacy, mammograms, food, animals, rainforests, and/or vaccinations. Plus the gifts that I chose are made through fair trade orgainzations throughout the world that help women especially. There were still some individuals on my list that didn't quite fit into the options that I found, so I'm going "green" for them... reusable shopping bags, herb gardens, trees. Which reminds me...I also found a website where you can purchase seeds from historical trees. Someone on my list is getting an Elvis Presley magnolia...
There is always the chance that I am being duped by these well wishing websites, but at least I feel like I'm doing something, even if it is just a meager contribution in the grand scheme of things... Josh and I have also decided that every year we'll set aside money for Ava to contribute to a charity of her choice, as we would like a side of compassion to accompany her intelligence. This year I think she'll be "adopting" a panda, as she has one that she adores, but I am open to other suggestions as well! I have made an annual habit of donating to St. Jude's and am adding a contribution to Yele Haiti this year, but it just never seems like enough...Following Hurricane Katrina I donated all of my tips for a Friday night to the Red Cross ($500!), as well as clothes, but I wonder if I even made a dent.
Meanwhile, I am still guilty of driving an SUV, watering my lawn enough to keep it green, and using disposable diapers, to name a few of my less than green offenses (would the opposite of being green be purple? Just a thought). And I still tend to look the other way when I see a bum on the freeway offramp (I have some opinions on that one)... So if, according to Dan Eldon, "the journey is the destination", is awareness a viable means of transportation?
¡Cruz es Cinco!
11 years ago

5 comments:
I think what you are doing is GREAT! Being that I work for a non-profit, I must say that we gladly accept donations anytime. :-) I also know lots of organizations locally that do great things during the holidays and throughout the year, and you can rest assured that your donations go directly to client services, so if you ever want to pick my brain (if you're looking for something in particular), let me know. There are also various organizations that do adopt-a-family during the holidays. We have a program like that at Childrens Hospital where I work. Sometimes items requested are as basic as diapers!
Any suggestions would be very welcome!! Can you give me some websites? I would also like to help your adopt a family program...I have bottles and some other items that were never used by Ava that I need to give to someone... :)
That's cool - I like the purchasing going to help others and you still can buy a gift out of it thing. It's still fun to get things for people.
My mom always just wants items donated from Samaratins Purse. Last year Ben "gave" her - donated in her name - mosquito nets for malaria prevention (since he's a doc), Avery picked out some stuffed lambs for kids, Miles gave chicks for breeding and I gave something mother related. I can't remember but it was a good family activity and good that my mom would actually want nothing for herself in lieu of others and it's tax deductible!
I was talking to my grandma this weekend and she was trying to think of the name of the organization that my uncle goes through...I think that's it!! Thanks!!
so I'm just catching up on the blog reading. Send me your email address to normaalmance@hotmail.com and I'll send you some links. If you have stuff like bottles that you want to donate, we have a teen pregnancy program that I'm sure could use them. I also have a few clients that have small children, one that actually just had a baby. Maybe we could arrange for a pick up next time I'm in your neighborhood? Email me when you have a chance.
Post a Comment